What to Do After a Hit-and-run Bicycle Accident
Bicycling is a popular and eco-friendly mode of transportation, but it also comes with risks, particularly on busy roads. Unfortunately, accidents involving bicycles and motor vehicles are not uncommon, and the consequences can be devastating, especially when the driver flees the scene.
As a leading personal injury law firm, Springs Law Group understands the challenges faced by victims of hit-and-run bicycle accidents.
In this blog, we will discuss what to do after a hit-and-run bicycle accident to protect your legal rights and seek compensation for your losses.We will cover immediate actions to take after the accident, legal steps to follow, and how a lawyer can help you with your claim.
If you or someone you know has been in a hit-and-run bicycle accident, don’t hesitate to contact us. Our experienced Colorado Springs bicycle accident lawyers can provide you with a free consultation and help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.
Immediate Actions to Take After a Hit-and-run Bicycle Accident
If you have been involved in a hit-and-run bicycle accident, there are some immediate actions you should take to protect your health and your legal rights.
- Call 911 and report the accident to the police. Even if the driver fled the scene, it’s important to have a police report documenting the incident. The police can also provide medical assistance if needed.
- Seek medical attention for any injuries, no matter how minor they may seem. Some injuries, such as concussions or internal bleeding, may not be immediately apparent. A medical professional can evaluate you and provide treatment if necessary.
- Collect as much information as possible about the accident scene and the vehicle involved. Take photos of the accident scene, the damages to your bicycle, and any injuries you sustained. If you can, write down the license plate number, vehicle make and model, and any other identifying details.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information. If anyone saw the accident or has information about the vehicle or driver, ask for their name and phone number. They may be able to provide valuable testimony in your case.
Legal Steps to Take After a Hit-and-run Bicycle Accident
After a hit-and-run bicycle accident, there are several legal steps you should take to protect your rights and seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
Here are some of the most important steps to follow:
- Contact a Colorado Springs bicycle accident lawyer to evaluate your case and help you navigate the legal process. A lawyer can advise you on your legal rights, investigate the accident, and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf.
- File a police report and obtain a copy for your records. The police report can provide valuable evidence of the accident and help identify the responsible driver.
- Notify your insurance company about the accident. Even if the driver was not identified, you may be able to file a claim under your own insurance policy, such as uninsured motorist coverage.
- Explore all possible sources of compensation. This may include the driver’s insurance if they can be identified, as well as other insurance policies that may apply.
- Document all expenses related to the accident, including medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. This will help you build a strong case for compensation.
- Work with your lawyer to prepare a demand letter outlining your claim and the compensation you are seeking. This letter is typically sent to the driver’s insurance company, and negotiations may ensue.
- If a settlement cannot be reached, your lawyer may file a lawsuit to pursue compensation in court.
Remember, hit-and-run bicycle accidents can be complex, and it’s important to work with an experienced lawyer who can guide you through the legal process and protect your rights.
How a Lawyer Can Help You With a Hit-and-run Bicycle Accident Claim
After a hit-and-run bicycle accident, hiring an experienced lawyer is crucial to recovering compensation for your bicycle accident injuries in Colorado Springs, as well as damages.
A lawyer can help identify the driver responsible for the accident by gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and examining physical evidence. They can also gather necessary documentation, advise you on the best course of action, and protect your legal rights.
If negotiations with insurance companies fail, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf and argue your case in court. Working with a lawyer who specializes in hit-and-run bicycle accidents increases your chances of getting the compensation you deserve.
Don’t wait to get started on your claim. Call us today to schedule a free consultation.