A few years ago, I had a potential client come into my office for a divorce consultation. After we finished, she explained to me that she had five more consultations scheduled with other family law lawyers in town. About two weeks later, she came back to my office and hired me. I asked her why she chose me over all of the other family law attorneys. She said it was because I truly listened to her, treated her with respect, and provided her value during our meeting.
In this article, I want to provide you with a brief divorce consultation checklist to make sure you get more value out of your divorce consultation.
Step One: Do Your Homework
- Research the family law attorney and the law firm
- Look at the Google reviews and AVVO reviews for the law firm and the lawyer
- Read the website of the law firm
- Read the bio page for the lawyer on the website of the law firm
- Schedule the consultation
Step Two: Be Prepared
- Write down your history
- Write down your concerns and issues
- Bring any court documents if they have been filed
- Ask questions
Step Three: Find Out Information At The Consultation
- Learn the divorce process
- Find out the retainer amount
- Find out the hourly rate of the attorney and the paralegal
- Overall, make sure you walk out of the consultation with more information than before you came into the meeting
Once the consultation is over, I recommend that parties take the information and process it. I ask them to talk to family and friends. Most importantly, it is important to make sure that when you finally decide on a family lawyer for your divorce that you and the lawyer are a good fit. You have to like and trust the lawyer because going through a divorce is too important of an event in your life to leave the case to chance.
If you are looking for a divorce in and around Colorado Springs, please contact Springs Law Group for a free consultation. We believe in providing value in your divorce consultation. We are here to help you.
Christopher Nicolaysen is a Family law Attorney who practices in Colorado Springs, CO. He graduated from Denver Sturm College of Law, and has been practicing law for several years now. Christopher Nicolaysen is passionate about helping you solve your family matters. Learn more about his experience here.